With the onset of winter and the temperatures start to become cooler, we tend to look for anything that can warm us up, both inside and out. This leads to us becoming less sensitive to the messages our body gives off to drink water.
Winter really makes it tough for us to stay hydrated because we definitely don’t want to reach over and grab a cold glass of water, we also don’t sweat as much and therefore are less likely to notice if we are becoming dehydrated. This is even worse in winter as dehydration can cause muscle fatigue, exhaustion, cramps and dizziness, and can make you more vulnerable to winter colds and flu.
Let’s be honest, most of us will avoid drinking water in winter because it makes us feel cold. But if we don’t drink water, it will affect the human body as the human body is made up largely of water. Water is your body’s most important nutrient and it is involved in every bodily function, and makes up 70- 75% of your total body weight.
Prevent catching a cold
As you will be even more active, make sure to keep hydrated as this will help to keep your mucus membranes in tip top working order and help to prevent those germs from penetrating your throat and nose and making you sick.
How can I remember to drink clean, sweet tasting water?
- Setting up reminders on your hone to drink water can also help. You can also download the app called Water Balance (there is an app for both iPhone & Android). These apps will assist you to keep track of how much water you have had throughout the day.
- Another idea could be to get a water bottle that you constantly keep with you and mark it with time-oriented goals.
- Be creative with the water you drink. Add some lemon, cucumber, or fruit such as strawberries to add some flavour
- Have soup, they will help keep you warm and will also help you meet your body’s daily water needs
- Drink a full glass of water for every caffeinated or alcoholic beverage consumed
- Consume foods and beverages that are high in water like: Watermelon, grapes, grapefruit etc…
- Eat more spicy food, this will naturally make you want to drink water
- As we spend quite a bit of time in the car, keep a bottle of water with you in the car
All of these ideas will help you to remember to drink more water regularly throughout winter.
Where to next?
Ensuring your drinking water is clear of any harmful bacteria is just as important as remembering to drink water as it has the potential to cause health threats. This is one of the reason why Waterways have developed a CC1 Quad Action filtration system. This system has been specifically designed to provide you with a constant source of clean, sweet tasting water.
Why is it important to consume clean water? With the increase of pollutants which are finding their way into our water supply, resulting in our water being filled with a high percentage of water toxins.
So not only is it important that you drink water, it is also essential that you and your family drink clean filtered water.
At Waterways, we provide sophisticated and targeted methods of ensuring your drinking water remains safe to drink and reducing the need for chemical treatments.